Friday 7 November 2008

Duck Surprise


Two ducks were messing about on a lake.
‘I say, Esmeralda, how long would it take,
to fly to London, to pay some respect
to Queen Elizabeth? We should not neglect.’

‘Well’ said his friend ‘In my estimation,
it’s much quicker to go down to the station
to catch an express train and in a brace
we’d be talking with Queenie at the Palace.’

Up spoke a fine swan who’d been gliding by,
‘It’s a race if you like, for all who can fly,’
‘Can I come too?’ said a large bumble bee,
‘Say what!’ said a gull, ’that’s a new one on me.’

So they set off on a Southerly course,
promptly at three, plus a galloping black horse,
neighing ‘Wait for me, I’ll not miss the fun,
I know I can’t fly but just watch me run.'

After a while, London came into sight,
but the horse then collapsed overcome with fright,
the cry went out 'Palace under attack,'
‘Onward,’ cried the swan, ‘there’ll be no turning back.’

Artillery shots, lit up the sky,
thus threatening the lives of all who could fly.
Landing nearby, they couldn’t leave a friend,
though nobody saw the Queen what a sad end.

Save one white swan, flying ever so slow,
the swan hss the Queens protection you know.
On the Royal lake gracefully gliding,
Whilst the rest, on the horse, northward are riding

No comments: